Thursday 3 December 2015

Sulphur monochloride synthesis

SULPHUR MONOCHLORIDE

I've been planning this experiment for a while now and I've finally had a chance to try it out: making sulphur monochloride at home.

Sulphur monochloride, also known as disulphur dichloride, is an interesting chemical with the formula S2Cl2. It exists as a golden yellow liquid with a high boiling point around 137 C. It's used in the industrial setting to produce various sulphur dyes and insecticides. It reacts violently with water.
I'm interested in it because of its reaction with hunigs base.

SYNTHESIS                              

WARNING: Sulphur monochloride causes severe chemical burns and chlorine gas can KILL you. Attempt at your own risk.


ATTEMPT ONE
For my first attempt I got a flask and filled it with sulphur, then I used some tubing to connect it to another flask, which I used as my chlorine generator. My plan was to get the chlorine into the flask of sulphur then heat it with a torch to kick start the reaction.
                   
For my chlorine generator I used sodium dichloroisocyanurate and dilute hydrochloric acid and anhydrous calcium chloride to dry the chlorine. Due to the heaviness of the chlorine I only managed to get a small amount of chlorine into the flask so I only obtained a small amount of sulphur monochloride shown here:



I'll try again soon with a better chlorine generation system and see If I can get more product forming.

No comments:

Post a Comment